Atty. Manuel L. Fortes, Jr.
"The greatest happiness of the greatest number is the foundation of morals and legislation."
The Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Sorsogon, as the legislative body of the provincial government is primarily responsible in enacting ordinances, approving resolutions and appropriating funds for the general welfare of the province and its inhabitants.
Legislative performance pertains to the rule-making function of the Sanggunian. In order to raise the level of performance of the Sanggunian Panlalawigan, it is besit to determine its internal capacity, as well as its productivity. This is primarily done through legislative performance assessment, the results of which serve as inputs or bases in determining strategic interventions to improve or sustain a desirable level of performance. Legislative performance becomes effective only to the extent that the Saggunian is able to enact measure consistent with the priorities embodied in the local legislative agenda. Such performance should ultimately reflect development and bring about improvements in the lives of the citizens.
The Vice Governor is the presiding officer of the Sanguuniang Panlalawigan. As such his primary duties consist of the following:
- Sign all warrants drawn on the provincial treasury for all expenditures appropriated for the operation of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan.
- Subject to civil service laws, rules and regulations, appoint all officials and employees of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan, except those whose manner of appointment is specifically provided for in R.A. 7160.
- Assume the office of the provincial governor for the unexpired term for the latter in the event of permanent vacancy as provided for in R.A. 7160.
- Exercise the powers and perform the duties and functions of the provincial governor in cases of temporary vacancy as provided for in R.A. 7160.
- Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as maybe prescribed by law or ordinances.
- Upon assumption of office make a full disclosure of financial and business interest in accordance with R.A. No. 6713 and other related laws.
- Disclose any business, financial or professional relationship or any relation by affinity or consanguinity within the fourth civil degree, which he may have with any person, firm or entity affected by any ordinance or resolution under consideration by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan, which relationship may result in conflict of interest.
Number of Committee Hearings Attended: 12
Number of Authored/Co-Authored Ordinances: 11
Approved on 3rd and Final Reading: 6
Pending in the Committee Level: 5
- League of Vice Governor of the Philippines 76th Annual Assembly – July 12-14, 2019
- ISO Training – July 23, 2019
- Anti-Dengue Drive – July 29, 2019
- 1st Provincial DRRM Summit – Jul 29, 2019
- Usapang CSC – August 7, 2019
- Internationl Youth Day Celebration & Linggo ng Kabataan – August 12, 21019
- League of Vice Governor of the Philippines 76th Annual Assembly: Basic Orientation Course for Newly Elected Vice Governors and the LVGB Level 1 Capacity Development Training – August 7, 2019
- SPLEDAC – August 22, 2019
- Social Protection Cluster Meeting – September 2, 2019
- 1st National Executive Board Meeting for the term 2019-2022 – September 10, 2019
- Training Workshop on Parliamentary Procedures – September 20, 2019